How to make a perfect fried egg explains a tried-and-true method will give you a perfectly cooked egg sunnyside up with a fully cooked white and soft yolk every single time. Includes how long to cook it.
How to make the perfect fried egg explains how long to cook an egg sunnyside up and at exactly what heat for a soft, runny yolk and tender whites that aren’t overcooked or crunchy at the edges. And the method used is sorta brilliant. In fact, it’s incredibly brilliant.–Renee Schettler Rossi
The Perfect Egg
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Makes 1 egg
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat a small cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the butter or oil and swirl it to coat the skillet. Immediately crack the egg into the skillet. Add the water to the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 1 minute.
- 3. Remove the egg from the pan immediately. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Originally published April 21, 2010.