French toast is one of our favorite breakfast dishes, so we’ve experimented with many variations of the classic recipe. We served brunch for a brief time at our restaurant, and this was one of the most popular dishes on the menu. The sweet coconut gives it a Caribbean flavor, while the maple syrup conjures up thoughts of our home in Vermont.–Bob and Melinda Blanchard
Crunchy Coconut French Toast
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4
- 1 1/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (see Note)
- 3 cups cornflakes, slightly crushed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Four 1-inch-thick slices challah, or 4 croissants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- maple syrup, for serving
- 1. Place the coconut and cornflakes in a shallow bowl and mix well.
- 2. In another shallow bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and soak for about a minute on each side. They should be well coated but not soggy.
- 3. Press each slice into the coconut mixture on both sides, patting firmly and turning them over several times to coat thoroughly.
- 4. Heat the butter on a griddle or in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with warm maple syrup.
- It’s important to use unsweetened coconut in this recipe. The sweetened variety is too moist and makes the bread soggy.
Recipe Testers Reviews
Keeping the cornflakes and coconut on the slices of challah proved to be the hardest part of this dish. So easy and so good!
The coconut French toast was a huge hit with both the adults and children (ages 7 and 3) of my weekend brunch. The toast came out somewhat unevenly browned, but the taste and texture of the French toast had no equal. The coconut was a great touch, giving the toast a sweetness (but not too sweet), richness, and fragrance that only coconut can give. Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, this recipe for French toast will be my new standard.
This French toast received rave reviews from the entire table! A very nice twist on classic French toast.
I absolutely loved it! I didn’t have unsweetened coconut, but to my surprise, the toast wasn’t soggy with the sweetened kind. Mmm… I’m inviting my family over for breakfast tomorrow.