If you frequent your local shawarma joint (and who doesn’t), you know the secret to the flavor of the slowly roasted meat is in the magical combination of spices. Made with plenty of warming spice, including allspice, cinnamon, cayenne, paprika, and garlic, you’re going to want to keep a jar of this on hand at all times for marinating and massaging into meats, sprinkling on spice-roasted carrots, tossing with potatoes, or coating broiled tofu.
What You’ll Need to Make This
- Allspice–Although this may seem like a lot of allspice, this gives the shawarma spice its signature depth and warmth.
- Cayenne pepper–If you prefer a milder spice mix or are sensitive to heat, reduce this to 1/2 teaspoon.
- Paprika–I recommend using a mild-flavored Spanish paprika so that it doesn’t overwhelm the other spices.
How to Make This Recipe
- Combine all of the shawarma spices in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
This homemade shawarma seasoning is fantastic on spiced beef tenderloin. I also recommend using it to flavor roast chicken and roasted potatoes or as a seasoning for grilled flank steak. Consider adding a teaspoon to your favorite citrusy vinaigrette or to a veggie shakshuka.
Shawarma, originally from the Ottoman Empire, refers to the classic dish of slices of meat slow-roasted on a vertical spit and generously seasoned with spices. It’s enjoyed in Turkey, throughout the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and the rest of the world.
- Store the spice blend in a sealed container and keep it in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- For best results, use fresh spices purchased within the past three months.
- The shawarma spice blend recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
More Superb Spice Blend Recipes
Write a Review
If you make this recipe, or any dish on LC, consider leaving a review, a star rating, and your best photo in the comments below. I love hearing from you.–David
Shawarma Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and stir well.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Use fresh spices–For best results, use fresh spices purchased within the past three months.
- Dietary–The shawarma spice blend is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Flavors of the SunBuy On Amazon
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.