Cajun spice mix is made from cayenne, paprika, pepper, and chili powder. That’s it. Remarkable how something so simple can taste so complex.
A stash of this Cajun spice mix on hand means you always have a flavorful solution to any question involving what’s for dinner? Rivals all those premade Cajun spice mixes but minus the egregious amount of salt. You’ll think you’re in Louisiana. Originally published September 27, 2011.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How To Use This Cajun Spice Mix
We use this Cajun spice mix on everything from fish fillets to jambalaya. And by “everything” we mean ribs, steaks, burgers, fries, eggs, and so, so much more. There’s no salt in this mix, so be sure to add salt to taste to whatever you’re cooking. (The salt is added separately because some foods need more of it than others, according to author Donald Link.)
Cajun Spice Mix Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Makes scant 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1. Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Store in a cool, dark place in a tightly sealed container for up to several months.