These date muffins are rich, sticky, toffee-pudding-inspired little lovelies made with oats and pecans and streusel. Mmmmmm.
These date muffins are a riff on the classic British sticky toffee pudding. Although unlike the indulgent dessert, these muffins are actually marginally healthy thanks to the inclusion of oats and pecans, although you’d never guess it from the rich, sweet taste. We think a glass of cold milk goes pretty darn swell on the side, but if you want to get all proper and British on us, perhaps you’d prefer to make a spot of tea. Originally published April 15, 2008.–Renee Schettler Rossi
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Makes 12 muffins
- For the streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, softened
- For the date muffins
- 9 ounces whole Medjool dates (255 g), pitted
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the streusel topping
- 1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans. Using a fork, cut in the butter until well combined and the crumbly mixture begins to hold together a bit.
- Make the date muffins
- 2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- 3. Place the dates in a shallow bowl (in a single layer if possible), pour the boiling water over them, and let soak for 15 minutes.
- 4. Transfer the dates and soaking liquid to a food processor and puree until almost smooth save for a few pea-sized fruit pieces. Set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar. With the motor running, mix in the eggs, 1 at a time. Add the vanilla. Add half the flour mixture and mix until moistened. Follow with the date puree and, when thoroughly combined, mix in the remaining flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give a final stir with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Top with the streusel and press down gently to adhere. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.