The key to good shrimp salad is to undercook the shrimp. I know it sounds amazing, but they really do cook in 3 minutes.
This salad makes a delicious lunch on its own, a first course for dinner, or a great sandwich filling. Be sure all your ingredients are cold before you mix them.–Ina Garten
How to Save Time
Buying already-deveined shrimp cuts down on the work of this easy-peasy recipe. All you need to do is cook the shrimp, peel, toss, and eat.
Barefoot Contessa Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 1 H, 15 M
- Serves 12
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
- 2 cups store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons good white wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced dill leaves
- 1 cup minced red onion (1 onion)
- 3 cups minced celery (about 6 stalks)
- 1. Bring 5 quarts water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for only 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are barely cooked through.
- 2. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cool water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. When cool enough to handle, peel and devein the shrimp.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.