This easy eggnog is made with melted ice cream, bourbon, dark rum, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The ice cream makes it rich and easy to toss together. A Christmas cocktail classic.
It’s just not Christmas without eggnog. But not any old eggnog. This eggnog. It brilliantly uses melted ice cream rather than making you suffer through the hassle of making your own custard. And this shortcut actually improves upon the classic. “All the richness of eggnog, none of the heaviness,” is how one of our testers expressed what this easy eggnog recipe delivers. Alleluia to that. And Alleluia to the fact that the recipe lets you whip up a small batch with ease to satisfy your random Tuesday night eggnog craving yet it’s incredibly simple math to multiply it when you need a large batch to satiate a crowd. Originally published December 3, 2014.–Renee Schettler Rossi
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Serves 2
Special Equipment: Cocktail shaker; coupe or martini or old-fashioned glasses (optional)
- 1 shot bourbon (1 1/2 oz)
- 1 shot dark rum (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (1/2 to 3/4 cup), slightly softened
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a pinch for garnish
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus a pinch for garnish
- 1. Before you do anything else, place 2 coupe or martini or old-fashioned glasses or whatever stemware you’ve got in the freezer.
- 2. Add the bourbon, rum, ice cream, cinnamon and nutmeg to the shaker and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. (If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can blitz everything in a blender.)
- 3. Divvy the creamy eggnog concoction between the chilled glasses. If you want, add a pinch cinnamon or nutmeg for garnish. Serve the eggnog without delay.