The combination of these ingredients makes a beautiful salad. Use the best-quality Parmesan you can find. It makes a world of difference.–Gena Knox
LC Best-Quality Parmesan Note
By “best-quality Parmesan,” the author does not mean that pulverized stuff that comes in a tall green can. What the author does mean is a chunk of really quite lovely stuff that you grab at your local Italian deli or cheese shop. Although really, “best-quality” pertains to all the ingredients in this recipe, because given that there are so few, each stands out. Think in-season apples and greenhouse baby greens from the farmers market. If you happen to have kids or houseguests who seem to need something productive to do with their time, by all means, buy walnuts in the shell and task your bored loved ones with prying them open. Heh.
Apple, Parmesan, and Mixed Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 4
- For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the salad
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 1 Braeburn or Gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese curls (made by drawing a vegetable peeler across the surface of a chunk of cheese)
- 1. Combine the mustard, water, honey, vinegar, and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, apple slices, and walnuts. Toss with the dressing. Add the Parmesan curls and gently toss to combine.
- 3. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Apple, Parmesan, and Mixed Green Salad Recipe © 2008 Fire & Flavor Grilling Co. Photo © 2008 Erica George Dines. All rights reserved.