There are different types of goat cheese, such as the delightfully named crottins de chèvre, but for this recipe it’s better to use the bûche, or log-shaped cheeses. There is a wonderfully earthy taste to good goat cheese, which mixes beautifully with really fresh salad leaves, crunchy walnuts, and good, spicy olives.–Joanne Harris and Fran Warde
LC Goat Cheese Galore Note
And if you find yourself with a little leftover goat cheese, well, certainly you know that you can schmear it on bagels and baguettes, mash it with arugula or sorrel or herbs and serve it with crostini, whisk it into frittatas, dollop it on tomato tarts, sandwich it with avocado and sprouts between slices of hearty seven-grain bread, drizzle it with honey…
Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 20 M
- Serves 6
- For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard such as Meaux
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- For the salad
- 10 ounces log-shaped goat cheese, the best you can find
- 6 baguette slices
- 8 cups mixed salad greens (mesclun)
- 4 ounces black Niçoise olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1. Heat the broiler.
- 2. Cut the goat cheese into six equal rounds and put one on top of each slice of baguette. Put them on the broiler rack but do not broil yet.
- 3. Put the vinegar, mustards, and salt and pepper in a covered jar and shake vigorously until smooth. Add the olive oil and shake again to blend. Pour the dressing into a mixing bowl, add the greens, olives, and walnuts, and toss well.
- 4. Put the baguettes with cheese under the broiler and cook for 2 minutes until the cheese is coloring and bubbling.
- 5. Serve at once on a bed of dressed greens.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Heart Beets Salad with Fried Goat Cheese from Sophistimom
- Strawberry & Goat Cheese Green Salad with Basil Vinaigrette from Cookin Canuck
- Goat Cheese with Honey from Leite's Culinaria
- Goat Cheese and Lentil Salad from Leite's Culinaria
Goat Cheese Salad Recipe © 2003 Joanne Harris and Fran Warde. Photo © 2003 Debi Treloar. All rights reserved.