This delicious puttanesca-style spicy tomato crumble with a crunchy topping is great with grilled fish. For an interesting change, scoop a large spoonful on top of fresh cooked pasta.–Mary Cech
Pepperoncini Kick It Up Note
Pepperoncini are also known as “Tuscan peppers.” They are medium-hot in taste with a slightly sweet flavor. A few of these chopped peppers will add an uplifting kick to a sandwich, or they can be stirred into tomato dishes to add pizzazz. They come pickled and are available in most supermarkets.
Spicy Tomato Crumble Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- For the crumble topping
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- For the spicy tomato filling
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced pepperoncini (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons clover honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- One 28-ounce can whole Italian tomatoes with juice, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- Make the crumble topping
- 1. Combine the bread crumbs, rolled oats, flour, Parmesan cheese, oregano, sage, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the spicy tomato filling
- 2. Put the garlic, capers, pepperoncini, honey, basil, red wine, tomatoes, and olives in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes to reduce the filling slightly.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Pour the spicy tomato filling into one 6-cup (1 1/2-quart) casserole dish and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Place the crumble on a baking sheet and center in the oven. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve the tomato crumble hot from the oven.