This red, white, and blue tart–a wicked popular dessert around fourth of July– is made with a graham cracker crust, an easy cheesecake-like filling made with just cream cheese, heavy cream, and sugar, and the eponymous red and blue berries of your choice.
Simple and stunning. That’s what we think of this ridiculously easy tart that’s essentially a cheesecake but with far less fuss. It requires you to do nothing more than press a graham cracker crumb crust into a pan and then stir together a luscious cheesecake-like filling consisting of just cream cheese, cream, and sugar. Then you slip it in the fridge until you need it. Just before serving, add a scattering of summer berries. No water bath. No overnight chilling. Just summertime simplicity. Originally published June 25, 2003.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Red, White, and Blue Tart
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 40 M
- Serves 8
Special Equipment: A 9-inch pie plate OR 9-inch deep-sided removable-bottom tart pan OR individual tartlet pans OR 4-by-14-inch rectangular tart pan
- For the graham cracker crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces), melted
- For the filling
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup fresh rasberries (or substitute hulled, sliced strawberries) (7 ounces)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or blueberries (5 ounces)
- Shredded coconut, mint leaves, and/or a drizzle of honey (optional)
- Make the graham cracker crust
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate OR a 9-inch deep-sided tart pan OR a 4-by-14-inch rectangular tart pan.
- 3. Bake until the crust is lightly colored and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the filling
- 4. In a large bowl with a stand mixer on medium-high, beat the cream until soft peaks form, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- 5. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until well combined.
- Assemble the tart
- 6. Using a spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and smooth it over the cooled tart crust. Scatter or arrange the berries as desired atop the filling. If desired, add coconut, mint leaves, and a drizzle of honey.
How To Make Tartlets Variation
- To make wee individual tartlets, divvy the crumb crust mixture among six 4-inch tartlet pans and bake only for 6 to 8 minutes, until the crust is lightly colored and firm. Proceed as above, divvying the filling and garnishes among the tartlets.