When summer delivers too many zucchini, many people reach for a zucchini bread recipe. Here’s one with a difference: wisps of grated carrot for color and nuggets of moist candied ginger for spice. The idea for jazzing up quick bread recipes this way comes from Annie Baker, a respected pastry chef in California’s Napa Valley. Wrap and freeze the second zucchini bread if you don’t plan to eat it within a day or two.–Janet Fletcher and the Chefs of Sur La Table
LC Slicing Sticky Candied Ginger With Ease Note
As you make this zucchini bread recipe, you may find yourself frustrated at the stick-to-it-iveness of the candied ginger. But you know that occasionally slicking the blade of your knife with a paper towel that’s doused with a little olive or mild vegetable oil will keep the candied ginger from sticking to it, don’t you?
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 1 H, 15 M
- Makes two loaves
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 cup minced candied ginger, see LC Note above
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup zucchini, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF (162°C). Coat two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 3/4-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir in the salt and candied ginger.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and foamy. Add the canola oil, sugar, and vanilla, whisking vigorously until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the carrots and zucchini.
- 4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture all at once and stir with a wooden spoon just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the 2 prepared pans.
- 5. Bake until the zucchini bread is well risen and firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the zucchini bread cool in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert them and finish cooling them right side up on the rack. Of course, a thin slice for the cook while the loaves are warm isn’t out of the question.