Southwestern turkey sliders are tasty and healthy and easy and quite frankly the best turkey burgers we’ve had. Experience them for yourself.
Like turkey burgers? Then you’ll love these turkey sliders. Heck, even if you don’t like turkey burgers, you may still swoon to these diminutive turkey sliders seeing as the smaller size ensures they require less time over the heat, which in turn means there’s less chance of them drying out. And everyone knows that the number one complaint of folks who don’t care for turkey burgers is that they’re too dry. Incidentally, number two is that they’re bland, but this recipe doesn’t suffer from that woe, either. Nope, not with this feisty blend of southwestern spices. (Given this recipe is from Emeril, we sorta feel like we should yell “Bam!” right about now.) Originally published July 31, 2015. –Renee Schettler Rossi
Southwestern Turkey Sliders
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 30 M
- Makes 12 sliders
- For Emeril's Southwest Essence spice blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- For the turkey burgers
- 2 pounds ground turkey, preferably a blend of thigh and breast meat
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced scallion, white and green parts
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 2 large egg whites, whisked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Emeril’s Southwest Essence spice blend (see preceding recipe or purchase the blend in a jar at your grocery store or online)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 mini burger buns or small soft dinner rolls, warmed
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 12 small lettuce leaves
- 12 slices tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- Store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- Make Emeril’s Southwest Essence spice blend
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, salt, cumin, cayenne, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and oregano. You should have about 1/2 cup. (You can cover and keep the spice blend indefinitely at room temperature.)
- Make the turkey burgers
- 2. Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- 3. In a large bowl using your hands, gently but thoroughly combine the ground turkey, red onion, scallion, chile, egg whites, spice blend, cumin, and Worcestershire. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape them into 12 small burgers, each about 3 1/2 inches wide.
- 4. Place the burgers on the grill and cook, flipping once, until the turkey is just barely done and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F (74°C), about 3 minutes per side.
- 5. Serve the burgers on the mini buns or rolls and set out the cheese, lettuce, tomato, sliced red onion, avocado, mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup so everyone can dress their burgers to their liking.