I love quiche. Yes, I am a man, and I love quiche. I don’t know where that expression of real men don’t eat quiche came from, but I would like to vouch for the fact that real men who don’t eat quiche are missing out. If they’re not eating this broccoli Cheddar quiche, I’ll take their share.
This particular quiche is a classic pairing of broccoli and Cheddar cheese. It’s a great base for adding bacon, ham, or sausage, or you can make it chock-full of other veggies. For me, this simple meal appeals any time of day and is elegant enough for a luncheon or dinner party. I love that in a matter of minutes you can have this rustic yet elegant and nutritious dish full of protein and vitamins. Quiches are a building block in the culinary world—build from this block and you can add a heap of other quiches to your repertoire. I know this is cheating, but, in the interest of time and ease, using store-bought pie crusts is just fine.–James Farmer
LC What Folks Are Saying About This Recipe Note
“A pretty killer combination of broccoli and Cheddar, if you ask me.” “Everyone who had a slice loved it.” “About as perfect as perfect can be.” That’s what folks are saying about this broccoli Cheddar quiche. Sorta makes you wanna try it, eh? While we opted for the purist form of this quiche, with no embellishment other than broccoli and Cheddar, you could of course stir in fresh herbs, sautéed mushrooms, crumbled bacon, diced ham, extra cheese, or pretty much whatever you prefer.
Broccoli Cheddar Quiche Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 15 M
- Makes 2 (9-inch) quiches
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small head broccoli (8 to 16 ounces depending on how much you like it), trimmed and cut into small florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 single-crust pie crusts (regular or deep dish), in their pans
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk, half-and-half, heavy cream, or buttermilk (either low-fat or full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Handful finely chopped fresh herbs, crumbled bacon, diced ham, sautéed mushrooms, or whatever else you’d like (optional)
- 1 heaping cup freshly shredded yellow sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- 2. While the oven heats, in a medium sauté pan, heat the oil and sauté the broccoli for 10 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. (If you add the warm veggies to raw eggs, they’ll scramble. So don’t be tempted to rush things.)
- 3. While the veggies cook, bake the pie crusts, uncovered, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and whole milk, half-and-half, heavy cream, or buttermilk with salt and pepper to taste until a slight froth forms at the top. Add the cooled onions and broccoli and the cheeses and gently incorporate them into the eggs. If desired, stir in fresh herbs or meat or whatever you please.
- 5. Evenly distribute the mixture in the prebaked pie crusts and bake until the quiche no longer jiggles when nudged, 20 to 35 minutes, depending on the size and depth of your pie crusts. Let the quiche rest for a few minutes prior to slicing each into 6 to 8 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!