This broccoli Cheddar quiche is made with everything you’d expect—milk, eggs, cheese, and, yes, those wee green trees—and yet it tastes so superior to every other iteration of this classic quiche that we’ve ever experienced.
This particular quiche is a classic pairing of broccoli and Cheddar cheese. Yawn, right?! Not exactly. It’s made with everything you’d expect—milk, eggs, cheese, and, yes, those wee green trees—and yet it tastes so superior to every other iteration of this classic quiche that we’ve ever experienced. You could even add bacon, ham, sausage, or other veggies. Although honestly? We wouldn’t change a thing. Originally published September 27, 2015.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC What Folks Are Saying About This Recipe Note
Broccoli Cheddar Quiche Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 15 M
- Makes 2 (9-inch) quiches
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small head broccoli (8 to 16 ounces | 227 to 454 g depending on how much you like it), trimmed and cut into small florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 single-crust pie crusts (regular or deep dish), in their pans
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk, half-and-half, heavy cream, or buttermilk (either low-fat or full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Handful finely chopped fresh herbs, crumbled bacon, diced ham, sautéed mushrooms, or whatever else you’d like (optional)
- 1 heaping cup freshly shredded yellow sharp Cheddar cheese (140 g)
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded white Cheddar cheese (57 g)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- 2. While the oven heats, in a medium sauté pan, heat the oil and sauté the broccoli for 10 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. (If you add the warm veggies to raw eggs, they’ll scramble. So don’t be tempted to rush things.)
- 3. While the veggies cook, bake the pie crusts, uncovered, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and whole milk, half-and-half, heavy cream, or buttermilk with salt and pepper to taste until a slight froth forms at the top. Add the cooled onions and broccoli and the cheeses and gently incorporate them into the eggs. If desired, stir in fresh herbs or meat or whatever you please.
- 5. Evenly distribute the mixture in the prebaked pie crusts and bake until the quiche no longer jiggles when nudged, 20 to 35 minutes, depending on the size and depth of your pie crusts. Let the quiche rest for a few minutes prior to slicing each into 6 to 8 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.