This seafood and chorizo stew is nothing more a tumble of clams, mussels, shrimp, chorizo, and potatoes roasted on a sheet pan or in a roasting pan. Stock and wine create the broth, lemon and parsley add some zest.
This sheet pan seafood and chorizo stew brings together assorted shellfish and smoky chorizo sausage and potatoes in a light broth infused with saffron and citrus. It comes together in less than an hour and, curiously, comes together in a roasting pan rather than a stockpot. Not only does it require just a single dish but it’s impressive as heck, making it perfect for everything from a dinner party to a quiet Tuesday night.–Angie Zoobkoff
Seafood and Chorizo Stew
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 55 M
- Serves 4
- 7 ounces Spanish chorizo (200 g), sliced into 3/4-inch (2-cm) pieces
- 14 ounces new potatoes (400 g), cut into 1/4-inch (6-mm) slices
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups seafood or chicken stock (400 ml)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 ounces or 57 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strands, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (9 g), crushed
- 1 1/4 pounds live mussels (570 g), rinsed and scrubbed
- 7 ounces raw king or large shrimp (200 g)
- 1 1/4 pounds clams (570 g), rinsed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (120 ml)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- Handful of chopped flat leaf parsley (about 20 g)
- Crusty bread (optional), for serving
- Prep the oven
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF (230°C).
- Roast the chorizo and potatoes
- 2. In a large roasting pan or sheet pan, toss the chorizo and potatoes with the olive oil and roast, tossing once or twice, until sizzling and the potatoes are tender and browned, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Roast the seafood
- 3. Add the stock, butter, saffron, garlic, mussels, shrimp, clams and wine to the pan, season with salt and pepper and give it a little shake so everything lies in an even single layer. Cover tightly with foil and roast until the shrimp are pink and the mussels and clams have opened, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels or clams.
- Garnish and serve
- 4. Sprinkle with lemon zest and parsley and plenty of crusty bread on the side for dipping.