A quick and easy buttermilk ranch dressing, made with creamy mayo, chives, dill, garlic, and onion. And tangy buttermilk, natch. Make it ahead of time and douse everything in it, all summer long.
Every summer I create at least one salad that becomes my go-to. One year this was it. It’s the perfect sidekick for grilled steaks or lamb, and this ridiculously good buttermilk ranch dressing makes any super-fresh salad satisfying on its own. This ranch dressing is teeming with fresh herbs and a creamy mix of mayonnaise and buttermilk.–Justin Chapple
CAN I MAKE RANCH DRESSING AHEAD OF TIME?
The beauty of this dressing, aside from the ultra satisfying taste, is that you can definitely make it ahead and enjoy it throughout the week. You’ll finish it off long before that, we promise, but it’s a nice thought, right?
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives plus 1 tablespoon minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, minced chives, dill, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Season the ranch dressing generously with salt and pepper. (The dressing can be made and chilled, in an airtight container, up to 5 days before serving.)
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
I am a huge fan of all-green salads and made-from-scratch dressings. This herbed dressing will put all your ideas about buttermilk ranch dressings made from packets of spices (and all the “other ingredients”) to rest. No sweet weirdness from the gums, MSG, and other preservatives in prepared dressings or the envelopes of ready-to-mix dressing of our adolescence. As a young teen, I mixed up more than my share of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and I am grateful to appreciate a fresh version now.
You do need a generous hand with the black pepper and a bit of salt to brighten the dressing, but it will be worth the extra few minutes to prepare.
The dressing will make for a great dip as well. The creamy tang is perfect.
Originally published April 14, 2021