Say hello to the chocolate chip cookies that started an Internet craze and made bakers rethink how to make cookies. They originally appeared in the July 9, 2008 edition of the New York Times in an article written by our Fearless Leader, David Leite. What makes them so damn special is the dough is refrigerated for 24 to 36 hours for a more complex flavor and greater variation in texture. Sea salt is the finishing touch.
Are these chocolate chip cookies the ultimate, unsurpassed, perfect specimen? The consensus is yes. But, hey, don’t take our word for it. Bake them for yourself. Originally published May 22, 2009.–David Leite
What Becomes a Legend Most? These Cookies.
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 1 D, 12 H
- Makes about 18 cookies
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces / 240 grams) cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces / 240 grams) bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups / 10 ounces / 284 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces / 284 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces / 227 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 pounds (567 grams) bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content
- Sea salt
- 1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and kosher salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop the chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. You may have to do this by hand with a spatula. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. (I vote 36 hours.) Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
- 3. When you’re ready to bake, fire up the oven to 350° (176°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
- 4. Scoop six 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. You’ll know the cookies are done wwhen the tops have the caramel folds of a Shar Pei.Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.
How To Make Gluten-Free Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lusting after these cookies but groaning and bemoaning over being gluten-free? Dry your tears and try Shauna James Ahern’s gluten-free version of the cookies. If only we could fix all your problems so easily!