This traditional Moroccan “bachelor stew” made of meat chunks, onions, and a spice mix that includes chile powder (paprika) and cumin is probably similar to the stews the Canary Islanders brought to San Antonio in the late 1700s.–Robb Walsh
Berber Chili Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 3 H
- Serves 4
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb, cut into 1/2-inch dice with fat removed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Combine the garlic, paprika, black pepper, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and salt in a bowl. Add the meat and toss until coated.
- 3. Lay the onion quarters in the bottom of a baking dish and add the broth. Put the meat on top of the onions. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is very tender.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Berber Chili Recipe © 2004 Robb Walsh. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!