Lidia Bastianich | Lidia’s Family Table | Tavola Productions, 2007 | Serves 4
This winner is from Lidia Bastianich, host of PBS’s “Lidia’s Italian Table’” and author of the companion cookbook of the same name. If you’re tired of pasta with heavy sauces, take a look. Lidia uses a light chicken stock to complement sauteed leeks and shrimp.
Tagliatelle with Leeks and Shrimp Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided as below
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 large leeks
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound tagliatelle
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for table
- Salt and pepper
1. In saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and quickly sear shrimp for 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Trim leeks and discard top 1/3 of tough green portion. Slice remainder into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and rinse in several changes of cold water to remove all soil and grit. Drain well.
3. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil with the 2 tablespoons of salt.
4. In saute pan, heat remaining olive oil, add leeks and saute over moderately high heat, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring 1 minute. Add butter and stock and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer an additional minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add tagliatelle to boiling water, stirring with a wooden spoon. If pasta is fresh, it will be done as soon as water returns to a boil. Otherwise, boil for 2 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit for remaining cooking time as specified on package.
6. Drain pasta well, add leek sauce and toss to coat pasta.
7. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese. Toss well and serve with plenty of additional cheese.
Tagliatelle with Leeks and Shrimp Recipe © 1994 Lidia Bastianich. All rights reserved.