This bright-green pea recipe, found so often in Portuguese homes, especially in spring and Easter, is a cinch to make. By the time you have the bacon cooked, the eggs are poached and all you have to do is assemble. Well, if the Portuguese were skilled enough to discover much of the world, forge trade routes, and make salt cod a national treasure, they can certianly make a quick and easy side dish.–Frank Alexandre
LC Where There's Smoke There's Sausage Note
For a smokier, earthy flavor, reduce the amount of bacon to 3 ounces and add 3 ounces of diced chouriço, Portugal’s famous and ubiquitous sausage.
Portuguese Peas with Eggs Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 6 ounces thick-cut slab bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces (see LC Note)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- Coarse salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley, for garnish
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the bacon until crispy-chewy, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Reduce heat to low and add the onion to skillet. Sauté in bacon fat until golden brown and slick, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, fill a deep skillet with 3 inches water and add the vinegar. Place the skillet over medium heat and bring to a bare simmer. Break an egg into a 1/3-cup measuring cup and gently tip it into water. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Poach the eggs to taste, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate, and trim any straggly ends. Cover and keep warm.
- 3. Add the peas to skillet with onions and toss them until warmed. Add the tomato and bacon bits, and season with salt and pepper.
- 4. To serve, transfer the pea mixture to a warmed serving bowl. Make an indentation in the peas for each egg, nestle in the eggs, and sprinkle with parsley. Instruct your guests to scoop peas onto their plates and crown with an egg.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Portuguese Peas with Eggs Recipe © Frank Alexandre. Photo © Christian Hansen. All rights reserved.