Make your own homemade peanut butter with ease thanks to this nifty, easy technique that turns out creamy, healthy, tasty nut butter every time.
Here’s how to make homemade peanut butter in which all the ingredients are under your control, which means no funnily named fillers or sweeteners or preservatives. Just wholesome peanut butter goodness. It’s ridiculously easy to make. That said, if what you’re seeking is the satiny smooth, crazy sweet peanut butter sold in jars at stores, this is probably not the recipe for you, though we still think you should try it.–Renee Schettler Rossi
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups
- 4 cups roasted, unsalted Virginia peanuts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mild vegetable, olive, or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 1. Put the peanuts in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment and drizzle 2 tablespoons of the oil over the top. Pulse to break up the peanuts, add the salt and sugar, if using, and blend until very smooth. (For a chunky peanut butter, stop before the peanut butter reaches a smooth consistency.) You’ll need to scrape down the sides of the food processor periodically and, if the mixture is very dry, drizzle in more oil by the teaspoonful.
- 2. Store the peanut butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. If the oil separates from the peanuts, simply stir to recombine.
How To Make Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Variation
- For honey roasted peanut butter, add 2 teaspoons honey after you begin to pulse the peanuts and just before adding the salt.