Ina Garten’s rosemary cashews are sweet and spicy and certain to start conversations. The inspired blend of cayenne, brown sugar, rosemary, and salt is perfectly spiced and just salty enough to be perfect with cocktails.
This recipe for Ina Garten’s rosemary cashews deftly handles the issue of what to make as the requisite pre-dinner nosh. That is, something that’s enticing enough to nibble yet not so compelling as to satiate. So if you’re already accustomed to plunking down a bowl of salted nuts and some olives, then maybe you take things to the next level with this easy, elegant, impressive answer to a once-vexing question. Inspired by the bar nuts found at New York City’s Union Square Cafe.–Renee Schettler
Barefoot Contessa Rosemary Cashews
- 1 pound roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 oz) unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the cashews on a rimmed sheet pan and place in the oven until warm, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the melted butter, rosemary, cayenne, sugar, and salt.
- Add the warm cashews to the butter mixture and toss to combine. Serve while still warm.
Recipe Testers' Reviews
So easy and so delicious. This seems to be the theme for Barefoot Contessa. These rosemary cashews were so simple to make yet so satisfying and pleasurable. The smell of the roasted cashews when they hit the rosemary and butter mixture was intoxicating. This appetizer will definitely be added to my arsenal of recipes.
These are the perfect combination of spicy, sweet, salty, and savory, and the perfect cocktail party nosh!
I accidentally bought raw cashews at the store and was looking for a tasty way to remedy my error. This fit the bill perfectly. I had all the ingredients at home. I simply toasted the cashews for about 7 to 8 extra minutes before adding them to the herb and spice mixture.
Originally published November 24, 2009