This glazed tofu recipe made with honey and soy sauce is crazy simple yet spectacularly impressive. Crispy at the edges and easy as can be. Folks who already love tofu are swooning and it’s wooing even avowed tofu haters.
This glazed tofu made with honey and soy and garlic and ginger has no tricks or bells and whistles. But there is a little magic in the manner in which the sugars in the marinade take on a deeper, more complex, almost nutty taste when simmered down to a glaze. Trust us, this recipe has folks who already love tofu swooning and it’s wooing even avowed tofu haters. But don’t take our word for it. Taste for yourself. Originally published June 6, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Glazed Tofu Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 30 M
- Serves 3 to 4
- 1 pound (454 g) extra-firm tofu, patted dry and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 1 1/4 cups (296 ml) soy sauce
- 1 cup (237 ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (5 g) finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) finely chopped fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon (2 g) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.4 g) ground dried Thai bird’s eye chile (or substitute your favorite Asian chile)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) toasted sesame oil (optional)
- Steamed rice, for serving
- 1. Place the tofu in a resealable container so all the pieces lie flat in a single layer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sugar, ginger, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, and ground chile. Then pour enough of the sauce over the tofu to completely coat it. Cover and refrigerate the tofu for at least 6 hours or overnight. If you have any extra marinade, cover and refrigerate it, too.
- 2. Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Heat a nonstick skillet over low heat. Pour about 1/4 of the marinade in the skillet and, once it starts to sizzle, add about 1/2 the tofu, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Pour a little more marinade from the container into the skillet so the tofu is covered. Cook the tofu, occasionally spooning the marinade over the tofu, until it’s nicely glazed and caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip the tofu and cook on the other side, occasionally spooning marinade over the tofu, until it’s warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes more. If a more robust flavor is desired, continue to cook the tofu until the glaze simmers and reduces slightly. Repeat with the remaining marinade and tofu.
- 3. Divvy the tofu among plates, drizzle with the sesame oil, if desired, and serve alongside steamed rice.