This salad with pears and pumpkin seeds is wintertime dish full of salad greens, sweet pears, and pomegranates. On top: caramelized pepitas.
This great wintertime salad is best prepared with pomegranates that appear only around the holidays. Tender pears and caramelized pumpkin seeds round out this seasonal delight. Vegans can leave out the cheese and enjoy the crunchy spiced seeds instead.–Robin Asbell
Salad with Pears and Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 6
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed or olive oil
- 1 small pomegranate
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large Bosc pears, sliced
- 4 ounces pecorino cheese, sliced
- 1. Heat the 1 teaspoon olive oil over high heat for 1 minute in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the pumpkin seeds and toss in the pan until the seeds are popping and browning, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the brown sugar, tossing continuously until seeds are coated with melted sugar (careful—it will burn easily). Quickly mix in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and salt, then spread the mixture on a plate to cool. Let cool completely and store in an air-tight container for up to 1 week until ready to use.
- 2. In a food processor, mince the garlic and mint (if using). Add the pomegranate juice concentrate, lemon juice, honey, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pulse to mix. With the machine running, gradually drizzle in pumpkin seed or olive oil. Set the dressing aside.
- 3. Cut through the skin of the pomegranate from stem to tip, dividing the fruit in quarters. Hold it over a bowl and pull apart the sections, then tear apart the pieces, gently freeing the seeds. Slice across the Romaine leaves into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange the greens on plates or in a large bowl. Top with the shallots, pears, and cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and top with pomegranate seeds and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!