Cheese-stuffed dates with prosciutto are tiny, sweet nuggets from Gia de Laurentiis, a woman who knows Italian food. These sweet, salty, creamy little babies are perfect for nibbles with cocktails.
The sweetest, best kind of dates are Medjools. They’re large, so they’re easy to fill, and when stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto, they provide a perfect sweet-salty mouthful in every bite. Serve them with a crisp white wine as an ideal before-dinner nibble.–Giada de Laurentiis
☞ Table of Contents
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto FAQs
I’m having a hard time slicing these sticky dates. Do you have any tips?
If you’re serving these little lovelies to guests (instead of just popping them straight in your mouth as you make them), you’ll want them to look nice. Running your knife under a little hot water will help with the stickiness so you can get a better cut.
Can I use another type of date here?
We and Giada definitely agree here, Medjool dates are the way to go. They’re large, creamy, and have an almost caramelized texture that makes them incredibly satisfying to eat. Luckily, they’re also pretty easy to find so you shouldn’t have to substitute anything else. If you have to, however, you can use another variety of fresh—not dried—date.
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto
- 1/4 cup goat cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup mascarpone at room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil leaves (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 about 12 oz Medjool dates
- 8 thin slices prosciutto halved lengthwise
- In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese and mascarpone cheese, and basil, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp paring knife, make a lengthwise incision about 1 inch long on each date. Using the tip of the knife, gently prod the dates open enough to remove the pits.
- Carefully spoon about 1/2 teaspoon cheese mixture inside each date. Gently press the dates to close the slit around the filling.
- Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick or cocktail pick.
- Arrange the tidily stuffed dates on a platter and serve.
Originally published April 1, 2010