This Italian sgroppino (aka Lemon Chill if you don’t do Italian) is a tipsy mixture of lemon ice cream, Prosecco, and vodka swirled together to create a cool, soothing sipper for the summer.
We don’t have words for how this seductively simple, satiating summer sipper makes us feel. Suffice it to say it swirls together vodka, Prosecco, and lemon sorbet to ridiculously satiating, giggle-inducing effect. Don’t worry, we don’t know how to pronounce Sgroppino, either. Not that we could without slurring our words after having one or two of these tipsy-inducing summere sippers.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Madcap Nightcap Note
This creamy, dreamy, madcap take on a nightcap draws on the cooling comfort of lemony ice cream. Since when was a nightcap only for nighttime?
Sgroppino ~ Lemon Chill
- 1/2 pound lemon ice cream or substitue gelato or sorbet, whether homemade or store-bought
- 4 tablespoons chilled Prosecco or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chilled vodka or more to taste
- Scoop the ice cream into a blender. Splash in the Prosecco and vodka and whizz just until the mixture is slushy. Please note, the more alcohol you add, the more liquidy the mixture—not necessarily a bad thing.
- Pour the sgroppino into chilled glasses (champagne flutes would be lovely) and serve immediately before it has a chance to melt.
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We’d love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
Originally published July 02, 2018
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We'd love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
I used lemon gelato from our local market to make this fresh, citrus-y, bliss of Sgroppino in a glass. The cool, inviting white color of this aperitif is a tingling, tangy, refreshing flavor break from whatever it is that you’re doing. Be careful though: The addictive nature of this sipper can impel one to make more than a single trip to the blender!