Beautifully presented lollipops in an array of flavors make a creative gift for a liquor aficionado. While these lollipops are quick to make, you need to wait a day for their flavor to develop–the subtle and intriguing results are worth it. Lollipop molds make the process quicker, but you can also use a baking sheet and silicone mat instead.–Nina Wanat
LC Our Wish List Note
We just added these subtly flavored lovelies to our Christmas wish list. If anyone needs our mailing address, just email us.
Special Equipment: Lollipop molds or a silicone baking mat, lollipop sticks (available online or at specialty stores), pastry brush, candy or deep-fry thermometer.
Liquor Lollipops Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Makes 16
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon hard liquor, such as bourbon, tequila, or rum
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon food coloring of your choice (optional)
- 1. If you don’t have lollipop molds, place a silicone mat on a baking sheet.
- 2. Mix together 1/4 cup of the liquor, and the water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a 1- or 2-quart saucepan until all of the sugar is wet. If sugar crystals cling to the sides of the pan, dissolve them away with a wet pastry brush.
- 3. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally and gently with a heatproof spatula until all of the sugar is dissolved. Then boil to 300°F (149°C) without stirring.
- 4. Remove from the heat, and, working quickly, mix in the remaining 1 teaspoon liquor and food coloring, if using. Still working with haste, drop the syrup into either lollipop molds or onto a silicone mat.
If using lollipop molds, quickly drop the syrup from the tip of a large spoon into the cavities of the lollipop molds. Place a lollipop stick in the center of each disk, and twist it 180 degrees so that it’s fully covered in syrup. Let cool completely.
If using a silicone mat, quickly drop the syrup onto the silicone mat so that it forms 2-inch disks and immediately after plopping the syrup on the sheets place a lollipop stick in the center of each disk and twist it 180 degrees so that it’s fully covered in syrup. Let cool completely.
- 5. Peel the lollipops from the molds or silicone and store in an airtight container, preferably at least overnight to allow the flavors to develop, until ready to indulge.