This makes a handsome cake with a luscious caramel color and a deep, sweet flavor. It’s grand plain, but if you want a fancier finish, top it off with a drizzle of quick caramel glaze.–Nancie McDermott
LC Aptly Titled Note
Perhaps the most aptly titled cake there ever was, seeing as this brown sugar cake calls for an entire 1-pound box of brown sugar. Our kinda cake.
Brown Sugar Pound Cake Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 6 to 8
- For the cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pans
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk, preferably whole
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan
- One 1-pound box (about 2 3/4 cups) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- For the caramel glaze (optional)
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cake
- 1. Heat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan or two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a fork to mix well. Stir the vanilla into the milk and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the butter with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar in 3 additions, mixing well after each, and then add the granulated sugar all at once, beating well after each addition. Add the eggs, 1 t a time, beating well after each addition. Add half the flour and then half the milk, beating at low speed just until the flour or milk disappears into the batter. Add the rest of the flour and then the remaining milk in the same way.
- 4. Quickly scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes (55 to 60 minutes for loaf pans), or until the cake is nicely browned at the edges, springs back when touched lightly at the center, and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack or a folded kitchen towel for 20 to 30 minutes. Loosen the cake from the pan with a table knife and turn it out onto a wire rack or a plate, top side up, to cool completely, top side up.
- Make the caramel glaze (optional)
- 6. Combine the butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the butter melts and blends with the brown sugar to make a smooth sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the milk, and let the icing come to a gentle boil.
- 7. Stir well, remove from the heat, and add the sifted confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla. Beat well with a mixer, whisk, or spoon for 1 or 2 minutes, until the glaze thickens and loses a little of its shine.
- 8. Use at once. If the glaze hardens, stir in 1 or 2 spoonfuls of evaporated milk to soften it.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Brown Sugar Pound Cake Recipe © 2007 Nancie McDermott. Photo © 2007 Becky Luigart-Stayner. All rights reserved.