Warm salads can be blooming amazing or complete disasters. First, you have to get your hungry guests around the table before you plate up, so as soon as their bums are on the chairs, you are tossing the warm ingredients in with the arugula leaves. Boom, boom, boom on a plate and it’s in front of them.–Jamie Oliver
That’s right, what he said. This salad is all about personalization and improvisation. The amounts are intentionally left a little loosey-goosey so you can tweak it to your palate and not get mired down in tedious measuring, but we’ve included some approximates for those who prefer pointed direction. The amounts can easily be scaled up or down depending on how many servings you desire—including, of course, just one. You can play fast and loose with the ingredients, too, as the seasons change.
Warm Arugula Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 4
- 2 medium red onions
- 8 slices pancetta or bacon
- A couple of glugs olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Handful of pinenuts (about 1/4 cup)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 big handfuls of arugula or any nice salad leaves
- Balsamic vinegar (up to 1/4 cup or so)
- Chunk of Parmesan cheese
- 1. Peel, halve, and quarter each onion, then cut each quarter in half. This should give you 8 wedges per onion.
- 2. Heat a skillet over medium heat and fry the pancetta or bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons or so of olive oil to drippings in the skillet. Add the thyme leaves, onions, and pinenuts along with a pinch of salt and toss around gently. Cook about 5 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and sweet (but not black!).
- 3. Return the pancetta or bacon to the skillet and toss to coat. Then throw everything into a salad bowl on top of the arugula or any nice salad leaves. Drizzle generously with balsamic vinegar—this will make a natural dressing as it mixes with the olive oil. Have everyone already sitting at the table by the time you shave some Parmesan over the top—you can use a vegetable peeler to do this.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Shaved Fennel and Arugula Salad from Inspired Taste
- Arugula Chickpea Salad with Feta and Balsamic-Tahini Vinaigrette from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Arugula, Fennel, and Orange Salad from Leite's Culinaria
- Arugula Salad with Almonds, Green Olives, and Tangerines from Leite's Culinaria
Warm Arugula Salad Recipe © 2002 Jamie Oliver. Photo © 2001 David Loftus. All rights reserved.