Carrot hot dog. And by this we mean a homemade vegan hot dog made by seasoning carrots just right with vinegar, spices, and other ingredients. Close your eyes and you may still tell a slight difference between this and the real deal but with no complaints. None at all.
We were surprised, to say the least, by this carrot dog recipe. You will be, too. Folks are calling it the best vegan hot dog they’ve ever experienced. Originally published June 24, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Carrot Hot Dog
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 3 H, 30 M
- Makes 8
- 1 cup store-bought vegetable broth or homemade vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg’s
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder or ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium carrots, peeled, skinny ends trimmed, carrots cut the length of the buns
- 8 hot dog buns (whatever kind you like)
- Onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, or whatever you wish for dressing your dog
- 1. In a medium saucepan, mix together the broth, vinegars, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and spices. Bring to a simmer. Let the marinade simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, toss the oil and the carrots together in a small roasting pan.
- 3. Remove the marinade from the stovetop and pour it over the carrots. Cover with aluminum foil and let it sit for at least 30 minutes and, preferably, up to 1 1/2 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- 5. Stick the carrots in the oven, still covered in foil, and roast for 20 minutes. Then take off the foil, kinda stir them around and flip them over, and roast for another 20 to 25 minutes. You want the carrots to be tender on the outside with a little bit of resistance in the center when you stab a carrot with a fork.
- 6. Add your choice of toppings and serve right away. (Alternately, you can cover and refrigerate the carrots and reheat them on a well-oiled grill.)