These pumpkin swirl brownies are made with cream cheese and taste as if pumpkin spice cheesecake swirl collided with chocolate fudge brownies.
These pumpkin swirl brownies are outrageously rich thanks to pumpkin spice cheesecake swirled through chewy chocolate fudge brownies. They taste just as autumnal as they look, although honestly, we wouldn’t think twice about making them any day of the year. Originally published October 29, 2016.–Angie Zoobkoff
Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 1 H, 10 M
- Makes 24 to 36
- For the pumpkin cheesecake swirl
- 3 ounces (85 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) butter, softened, plus more for the baking dish
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (about 228 g) plain canned pumpkin or cooked mashed pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) all-purpose flour
- For the chocolate brownie batter
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces (170 g) unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (170 g) butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups (446 g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk, preferably whole milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Make the pumpkin cheesecake swirl
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Butter a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33 cm) baking dish.
- 2. In a stand mixer or in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat to combine. Beat in the egg, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir in the flour.
- Make the chocolate brownie batter
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large saucepan over low heat, combine the chocolate and butter and warm until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally. Gradually add the sugar, beating just until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the milk and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Spread the chocolate brownie batter evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon the cream cheese mixture in mounds on top of the chocolate brownie batter and use a table knife to swirl it into the chocolate batter. Bake until the center is just set, 55 to 65 minutes.
- 4. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool in the baking dish. Cut into squares.