Of course, not all wings need to be of the “Buffalo” or “atomic” variety. These classic mahogany wings are delicious and easy to prepare. In this recipe, you’ll make a simple 24-hour marinade using plum sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and the garlic mixture also known as Peking sauce. These sweet and spicy wings are the perfect accompaniment to a Thai salad or bowl of miso soup.–Christopher B. O’Hara
Mahogany Wings Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 3 H
- Serves 6
- 3/4 cup Chinese plum sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or a low sodium version if preferred)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 scallions, green and white parts, finely minced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 30 chicken wings, small wing joint removed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the plum sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, honey, scallions, and garlic. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture for basting in a separate small bowl.
- 2. Add the chicken wings to the large bowl, stir to coat, and place, covered, in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- 3. Place the wings in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Place them in a preheated 350° F (175°C) oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until crisp and brown. Baste every 10 minutes during cooking, and about 5 minutes before removing the wings from the oven.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!