This vanilla angel food cake has all the delicate goodness of classic angel food cake but is made better with the addition of pure vanilla and a blizzard of confectioners’ sugar. But that’s not to say you can’t continue to improve on it with your favorite embellishment.
Light, fluffy, and airy, this vanilla-scented cake makes for a elegant foundation for your favorite cake embellishments. For us personally, ice cream, whipped cream, and berries rank high on our musts lists. Although we’d love to hear what you do to embellish angel food cake. Kindly let us know in a comment below.–Angie Zoobkoff
☞ Table of Contents
HOW LONG WILL MY VANILLA ANGEL FOOD CAKE LAST?
This is an answer for those of us that can restrain ourselves. Obviously, some of us never have to worry about the good stuff going stale. However, if you’re not an all-or-nothing eater, then an average angel food cake will remain fresh and temptingly delicious for 4 to 5 days at room temperature. And about that—it’s best to store an angel food cake at room temperature with an airtight cover. Refrigerating any cake does extend its shelf life, but it also distorts the fresh texture and flavor of your cake. This makes it perfect for toasting or dipping in fondue though…just so you know.
Vanilla Angel Food Cake
- 9-inch (23-cm) tube pan
- 12 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar or just blitz granulated sugar in a blender until finely ground but not powdery
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add 3/4 cup superfine sugar and vanilla and whisk until thick and glossy.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour and 1/2 cup superfine sugar. Sift for a second time over the egg white mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into an unbuttered 9-inch (23-cm) tube pan and smooth the top. Bake until the cake comes away from the sides of the pan, 35 to 40 minutes. Invert the pan and set aside until cooled completely, about 1 hour.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
This vanilla angel food cake is easy to prepare and calls for just 5 ingredients. It has a light and fluffy texture and it’s sweet without being cloying. In summer, it’s delicious with fresh berries and whipped cream, while in winter it’s perfect for dipping with chocolate fondue.
This is a classic, delicious angel food cake! A lovely dessert on its own or accompaniment to a host of options.
The recipe is simple but be careful to continue folding as I found many pockets of the sifted flour mixture even after I thought it all was incorporated. I'd also recommend a high quality vanilla, as it’s the featured flavor in the cake.
We enjoyed it with both ice cream and whipped cream but will definitely make it again to serve with seasonal fruit.
Originally published December 16, 2018