A café favorite since we opened, this hearty dish of sauteed new potatoes, vegetables, and poached eggs is hard to beat. Be sure to brown the potatoes well before adding all the vegetables. Cook in two pans if necessary, or make it in batches. Top with Salsa Fresca and sour cream if desired.–Romney Steele
New Potato Hash with Poached Eggs Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 50 M
- 1 H, 25 M
- Serves 3 or 4
- For the salsa fresca
- 5 or 6 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only
- 2 or 3 teaspoons lime juice (optional)
- For the new potato hash
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds red new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 sweet red bell pepper
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 or 3 ribs chard, stems and rib removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 or 4 eggs (1 per person)
- 1 cup Salsa Fresca
- Sour cream (optional)
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- 1. Boil the unpeeled new potatoes in salted water until fork-tender, not soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, cool, and then cut into bite-size chunks.
- 2. Slice the onion, red pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and chard into similar thicknesses for even cooking.
- 3. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes and a little salt and pepper and saute until browned, about 10 minutes, shaking the pan on occasion. Add the onion, pepper, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Add the zucchini and chard and cook for 5 minutes longer, until all vegetables are nicely browned along with the potatoes. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- 4. Poach the eggs just before new potato hash is done. Have a medium pot of water simmering at a rapid speed. One at a time, crack the eggs into a small bowl, then gently slip them into the simmering water. Poach the eggs 2 minutes for soft yolks or longer if you like them harder. One at a time, scoop out the poached eggs with a slotted spoon and gently rest on a towel for just a second to soak up any water.
- 5. To serve, divide the hash among bowls; top each serving with a poached egg, salsa, and sour cream. Sprinkle with the parsley or cilantro to finish.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!