This lime coleslaw recipe may not be your grandma’s coleslaw recipe, but we think you’re going to like it quite a lot nonetheless. The only improvement we can conceivably consider, actually, is the addition of thin strips of seeded jalapeños if you’re the sort who likes things hot.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Napa Cabbage Versus Green Cabbage Note
We have a confession. Author Rebecca Lang calls for Napa cabbage in her original version of this lime coleslaw recipe, but we pulled a switcheroo and opted for good old green cabbage instead. Primarily because, unlike Napa cabbage, green cabbage tends to withstand being smothered in dressing without turning soggy. It also tends to be a touch more findable and economical. But it’s up to you. Go for Napa if that’s what pleases you. Hey, this could make a swell Epic Rap Battle if only they’d do culinary ingredients instead of historical giants, don’t you think?!
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes 6 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (or substitute fresh lime juice for some of the vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lime, preferably organic, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 small head)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2/3 cup carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Add the cabbage, onion, carrot, and parsley to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Recipe Testers Reviews
I threw this lime coleslaw recipe together at the last minute, and it was fantastic. It was excellent on a fried chicken sandwich and tasted delicious all on its own. It remained crunchy the next day, and I enjoyed it as a salad with grilled chicken on top. I used an entire small head of cabbage to get the desired yield of 6 cups.
Great zip from the lime! Truly amazing!