These baked potato chips are homemade and healthy yet have all the crunch and saltiness and satisfaction of your fave packaged chips.
These homemade baked potato chips have all the crunch and saltiness of packaged potato chips but none of the darn crazy unpronounceable preservatives, unhealthy fats, and other unconscionable additives that store-bought potato chips tend to contain. And the taste is spectacular. Bet you can’t eat just one.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Baked Potato Chips
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
Special Equipment: Mandoline or hand-held slicer
- 2 medium russet potatoes (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons (3 grams) very finely chopped rosemary leaves (about 2 large sprigs)
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) flaky sea salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Adjust the oven racks to the centermost positions. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. Thinly slice the potatoes as evenly as possible using a mandoline or handheld slicer. You want the slices to be between 1/8 and 1/16 inch thick. Thoroughly rinse the potato slices under cold running water and pat them completely dry. (Rinsing the potato slices gets rid of any excess starch and makes the chips crisper.)
- 3. In a large bowl, toss the potato slices with the rosemary, olive oil, and salt. Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, carefully spacing them so they don’t overlap.
- 4. Bake the potato slices on the centermost oven racks, switching the baking sheets once, until the slices turn crisp and golden. This should take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the exact thickness of your potato slices. You’ll need to keep a careful eye on the chips during the final minutes as they tend to go from not done yet to brown and crisp in seconds. The chips may not bake at the exact same rate, so transfer any chips that are ready to a serving bowl, and bake the ones that are not yet crisp for another couple minutes more. (Kindly note, for an evenly crisp potato chip, the entire slice has to brown; any area that is still lighter in color will be slightly soft when warm and became chewy when cooled.)
- 5. The baked potato chips are best served straight from the oven but any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.