Vietnamese chicken rice soup is a quick and easy version of congee, a sensationally soothing southeast Asian elixir of rice, chicken broth, and ginger.
This Vietnamese chicken rice soup is a quick cheater’s version of the insanely soothing congee, the southeast Asian comfort food that’s simply rice slowly simmered in chicken broth. It’s typically cooked low and slow for hours, although here we make certain it’s on the table in less than an hour—without sacrificing anything in terms of taste. Perfect for whatever affliction you may have, whether of body or soul.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Vietnamese Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 45 M
- Serves 6
- For the soup
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken legs (680 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (2 g)
- 2 quarts water (1.9 L)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, preferably Red Boat brand (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil (15 ml)
- 2 garlic cloves (11 g), thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice, preferably long-grain jasmine (138 g), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (10 g)
- For the garnish
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 6 fresh cilantro stems, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts (30 g), crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Season the chicken legs with salt.
- 2. Bring the water and the fish sauce to a boil in a large stockpot. Add the chicken and reduce the heat to maintain a very delicate simmer.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, rice, and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, until the rice grains are opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice mixture to the chicken in the stockpot. Continue cooking until the chicken is done, about 25 minutes. Remove the chicken and let it cool on a plate until it’s easy to pick and shred the meat. Continue to cook the rice until slightly overcooked and thicker.
- 4. Ladle the soup into warm bowls. [Editor’s Note: The author says if you’re making this to help ease a sickness, feel free to use the gentle steam as a sinus cleanse.] Garnish with the shredded chicken, scallions, cilantro, peanuts, and pepper.