Chinese chicken salad is just like those salads you get at the restaurants with the oranges and cashews and the lovely balance of crunchy and tender and sweet and savory.
This Chinese chicken salad is described by the author, Joanne Chang, as “crunchy, tart, healthy, filling, spicy, and sweet with a complex and savory charm.” We couldn’t agree more. We’d also like to add “just like those restaurant versions of Chinese chicken salad” and “addictive as heck” and “easy to toss together on a weeknight.”–Angie Zoobkoff
Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 1 H
- Serves 4
- For the Chinese chicken salad
- 1 medium garlic clove (3 g), smashed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (454 g)
- 2 seedless oranges, such as navel (about 14 ounces or 400 g), thinly sliced or supremed*
- 1 head romaine lettuce (12 ounces or 340 g), shredded
- 2 medium celery stalks (3 ounces or 85 g), thinly sliced
- 1 cup roasted, lightly salted cashews or peanuts (113 g)
- 4 or 5 scallions (1/2 cup), white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (1 ounce or 28 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (2 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1 g)
- For the dressing
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- Scant 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar (30 g)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons store-bought or Homemade Sriracha (15 to 30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger (about 15 g)
- Make the Chinese chicken salad
- 1. Place the garlic and chicken in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let the chicken poach until cooked through and no trace of pink remains when you cut into the thickest part, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water, let it cool and then shred or cube it into bite-size pieces. (The cooled chicken can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days in advance.)
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, romaine, celery, cashews, scallions, and cilantro. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Make the dressing
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, Sriracha, vinegar, and ginger.
- Serve the Chinese chicken salad
- 4. Pour about 3/4 of the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Divvy the salad among 4 serving bowls. Top with the orange slices and serve immediately, passing the remaining dressing on the side.
*How to Supreme an Orange
- To supreme oranges, first cut the skin and pith off the fruit and then use a small sharp knife to cut between the flesh and the membrane on each side of the orange segment. Each orange segment should fall away from the membrane easily. Repeat until all of the orange flesh has been removed.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!