This soup is a perfect harbinger of spring. Bright-green and fresh-tasting, it can be served as an appetizer, entrée, or even as an hor d’oeuvre, when poured into shot glasses.–David Leite
LC Things That Make You Go Ooh! Note
Just imagine the reaction you’ll get when you announce you’re serving up pea soup with chive oil and peppered creme fraiche. ‘Ooh!’ doesn’t even cover it. The garnishes sound super fancy, but really all you’ve done is a little extra mixing and whizzing in the kitchen. Keep that part quiet, and revel in those oohs and aahs.
Spring Pea Soup with Chive Oil and Crème Fraîche
- Quick Glance
- 45 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4
- For the chive oil
- Bunch of chives, torn into thirds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- For the soup
- 4 cups shelled fresh peas
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 4 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if necessary
- For the peppered crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Make the chive oil
- 1. Place the chives and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until fully blended. Pour into a small bowl or squeeze bottle and set aside.
- Make the soup
- 2. Bring the peas and stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook until very tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute the pancetta until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool, then set aside. Add the shallot and celery to the pancetta fat and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the peas into a blender along with the shallot and celery and purée. With the motor running, slowly pour in 2 cups of the chicken stock through the opening in the cap and whirr until smooth. Work in two batches, if necessary. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and heat over a low flame until hot. Season to taste with salt; if the peas were particularly large and starchy, add the sugar.
- Make the peppered crème fraîche
- 4. Whisk the white pepper into the crème fraîche. To serve, ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Using a spoon or squeeze bottle, drizzle a spiral of the chive oil on top. Crown with a dollop of peppered crème fraîche and sprinkle with the crisped pancetta crumbles.