For this brownie ice cream, a fudgy brownie is made with plenty of chocolate and toasted pecans, and baked slightly thinner than usual, is combined with a good store-bought ice cream—either vanilla or chocolate works well. Serve with your choice of hot sauce for pouring.–Linda Collister
LC Recipe Tomfoolery Note
Chances are you’ve been mashing brownies into ice cream since you were a kid. Still, we could all use a reminder–and this simple recipe does the trick. Although it indulges crazy schedules–and crazy cravings–by suggesting store-bought ice cream or gelato, you may wish to opt for a homemade vanilla, just so as not to risk marring what could just be the best darn moment of your day.
Brownie Ice Cream Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 45 M
- Serves 6 to 8, so they say
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces or chopped
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 2 pints store-bought or homemade vanilla ice cream
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
- 2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over but not touching a pan of almost but not quite boiling water. Heat until melted, stirring frequently.
- 3. Carefully remove the bowl from the pan and use a wooden spoon to stir in the sugar and vanilla extract. Let cool for a couple of minutes
- 4. Stir the beaten egg into the chocolate mixture. Sift the flour and cocoa on top of the mixture, then thoroughly combine the ingredients. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- 5. Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan before slicing.
- 6. Meanwhile, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator long enough to soften but not so long that it starts to melt. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 7. Chop the brownies into small pieces and mix them into the ice cream. Spoon it into a resealable freezer proof container with a tight lid and freeze until firm. You know what to do from here….