Hot dog on a baguette?! Oui. Call it what you will–French, Parisian, froufrou, fancy—but we call it brilliant. And so will everyone with whom you share this party trick.
This hot dog on a baguette recipe—yes, hot dog on a baguette–is a replica of what you’ll find on the streets of Paris. Oui. C’est vrai. You’ll find “le hot dog” vendors on the streets of Paris. And we gotta admit, a crusty baguette that’s been split open and toasted on both sides has it all over a squishy hot dog bun. Originally published July 14, 2014.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Hot Dog on a Baguette
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 10 M
- Serves 1
- 1 baguette or demi-baguette
- 1 hot dog or all-beef sausage
- Spicy mustard, to taste
- Ketchup, to taste (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- 2. If using a regular-size baguette, slice off an end and cut the baguette into a length slightly shorter than your hot dog. If using a demi-baguette, slice both ends off. Cut or rip out some of the fluffy baguette interior to make space for the hot dog.
- 3. Simmer the hot dog or sausage until warmed through. While it cooks, place the baguette in the warm oven to toast slightly, just for a minute or so.
- 4. Spread a schmear of spicy mustard and ketchup, if desired, into the slit in the baguette and slide in the hot dog or sausage. Mange. (That’s French for “cram it in your piehole.”)
- Gruyère Dog
- Slice a baguette or demi-baguette as you would a classic hot dog bun and spread with the spicy mustard. Eighty-six the ketchup. (That means forget about it.) Add the hot dog or sausage and then a generous helping Gruyère cheese. Heat the haute dog under a broiler until the cheese is melted. Serve pronto.
- Brie Dog
- Slice a baguette or demi-baguette as you would a classic hot dog bun and spread with the spicy mustard. Eighty-six the ketchup. Add the hot dog or sausage and then a generous helping of Brie cheese. Heat under a broiler until the cheese is melted. For a sweet touch, add sliced pears or apples before topping the dog with Brie.