Best potato salad ever. That's what folks are saying about this easy spud salad made with potatoes (natch), mayo, vinegar, red onion, eggs, and a sprinkling of herbs. Not traditional. Not Southern. Not old-fashioned. Even better.
The best potato salad recipe means different things to different people. To those who’ve tasted this easy recipe made with mayo, vinegar, red onion, egg, and herbs, it’s this potato salad. Hands down. It’s not traditional. It’s not Southern. It’s not old-fashioned. Yet it’s spectacular. Don’t trust us? Take a look at their comments below the recipe. You’ll find comments such as “The best I’ve ever had.” “A++” “Beautiful.” “Perfect potato salad taste and texture.” “A lovely herbal boldness.” “Easy peasy.” “A great addition at any party.” But don’t take our word for it. Try this easy and, dare we say, elegant riff on potato salad for yourself. This recipe has been updated. Originally published July 1, 2014.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How To Make This Potato Salad Into Anything You Want It To Be
Upon first glance, it may appear as though this best potato salad recipe provides you with a single amazing potato salad recipe. But in actuality, it bestows upon you a blueprint which you can tweak in any of many ways to create an infinite number of potato salad magnificence. So, potato salad lovers, let’s talk stir-ins, shall we? We’ll show you ours if you show us yours.
~ Smidgen finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, dill, or chervil leaves
~ Spoonful coarse-grain mustard
~ Untold amounts of crisped, crumbled bacon
~ Some chopped apple
~ Little pieces of puckery chopped pickle
~ Chopped olives—pitted, natch—of your choice
Best Potato Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 2 H, 20 M
- Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon thyme or savory leaves
- 1/2 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup thinly sliced or finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2 pounds boiled or steamed potatoes, peeled if desired, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together the basil, marjoram, thyme, and mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- 2. If using the vinegar, in another small bowl, combine the onion and vinegar and set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes. Drain the onion. If not using the vinegar, just use the onion raw in the next step.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, eggs, if using, salt, and pepper. Add as much of the mayonnaise mixture as desired and gently toss. Serve the potato salad immediately or cover and refrigerate until chilled through.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!