Recipes for sangria abound, but including strawberry jam in the mix adds viscosity and extra depth of flavor to this strawberry sangria. Macerating fresh strawberries in red wine is an old Italian trick that I borrowed for this recipe, and it works wonders. To accentuate the berry flavor even more, I added a little Marsala in addition to the brandy. Fewer drinks could be more tempting—or better suited to a crowd—on a warm night. Think of this as summer’s answer to Swedish glogg.–Rachel Saunders
LC Secret Ingredient Note
Betcha can’t guess the secret ingredient in this strawberry sangria. Give up? It’s strawberry jam. Yep. Jam. As in preserves. This unexpected yet everyday ingredient lends a sweet lilt and a lovely viscosity when stirred into sangria. Who knew?! Anyways, you can have a swell time challenging guests to guess what ingredient you slipped in their cocktail. Let us know how that goes.
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 5 H, 30 M
- Serves 6 to 8
- 1 orange, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rounds
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rounds
- 1/2 to 1 cup high-quality strawberry jam, or to taste (or substitute simple syrup)
- 1/4 cup strained fresh orange juice
- Scant 1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala
- 1 (750-ml) bottle medium-bodied red wine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups (about 14 ounces) fresh strawberries, thickly sliced
- 1. Place the orange and lemon slices in a large pitcher or small punch bowl. Mash gently with a muddler or wooden spoon, taking care not to damage the pieces of fruit; you just want to bruise them enough for them to release their flavor. Add the jam and muddle a little more, then add the orange juice, lemon juice, brandy, Marsala, red wine, and water and stir very well. Stir in the strawberries. Cover the sangria with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours. Then chill the sangria until cold, at least 3 hours.
- 2. To serve, ladle the sangria into chilled glasses, making sure to include some strawberry slices in each serving.