One of my favorite comfort dishes in Morocco is this stew of kefta (meat) balls served in a rich cinnamon-flavored tomato sauce, in which eggs are poached in the final few minutes of cooking. The meat, eggs, and sauce should be served together in a shallow pan such as a tagine, cazuela, or iron skillet.–Paula Wolfert
Meatball-Tomato-and-Egg Tagine Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 35 M
- 1 H, 20 M
- Serves 6
- For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 pinches cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped, or one 2-pound can organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 6 medium eggs
- Make the meatballs
- 1. Combine the ground meat, grated onion, parsley, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Wet your hands and form the mixture into 1-inch balls.
- 2. Heat the olive oil in a tagine, cazuela, or black iron skillet set over a flame tamer over medium heat. Saute the meatballs in the oil until well browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs from the pan to a dish.
- Make the sauce and assemble the dish
- 3. To the same pan add the chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and pepper. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to a thick gravy.
- 4. Add the meatballs back to sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Carefully, break the eggs into the sauce and poach them for 5 minutes, or until set. Serve at once, directly from the pan with chunks of dense, crusty bread.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Meatballs with Mint & Parsley in Tomato Sauce from Turntable Kitchen
- Tuscan Baked Eggs with Tomatoes, Red Onion, Garlic, Parmesan, and Herbs from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Moroccan Squash Tagine with Garbanzos and Couscous from Leite's Culinaria
- Moroccan Meatballs | Kefta Tagine from Leite's Culinaria
Meatball-Tomato-and-Egg Tagine Recipe © 1973 Paula Wolfert. All rights reserved.