When I’m at home and want to cook something quick and easy, I love having this Cajun spice mix in my cabinet so I don’t have to fish out a bunch of spices. There’s no salt in this mix, so be sure to add salt to whatever you are cooking. (I do the salt separately because some foods need more of it than others.) I use this mix for everything from fish fillets to jambalaya. For the record, I let a few people call me Donnie—my cousin Billy Boy, Richard Reddington, Grandma Hammack, and my coauthor, Paula. It was the latter who named this recipe.–Donald Link
LC At a Loss for Words Note
We’ve got nothing to add to Donnie’s charmingly practical note about this Cajun spice mix. Not a word. There’s no time for it. Not when there’s jambalaya waiting to be made. (Tony Chachere, look out!)
Cajun Spice Mix Recipe
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes | Makes scant 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1. Combine all of the spices in a small bowl. Store in a cool, dark place in a tightly sealed container for up to several months.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cajun Spice Mix Recipe © 2009 Donald Link. Photo © 2009 Chris Granger. All rights reserved.