This gingerbread Bundt cake has all the warm spicy goodness of gingerbread cookies. As if that weren’t enough, it’s gilded with a sassy and sweetly tart lemon glaze.
This gingerbread Bundt cake is equally welcome at a special occasion party, a holiday dinner, or simply alongside your afternoon cuppa. The juxtaposition of warming spices and a sweetly tart lemon glaze is so spectacularly and resoundingly lovely, we suspect we’ll be making gingerbread all year round.–Angie Zoobkoff
Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- Quick Glance
- 45 M
- 1 H, 35 M
- Serves 12 to 16
- For the gingerbread Bundt cake
- Nonstick baking spray
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mild vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- For the lemon glaze
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the oven
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Spray a 10-cup Bundt pan generously with nonstick baking spray.
- Make the gingerbread Bundt cake
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well. Whisk in the oil, then whisk in the granulated sugar followed by the molasses. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Add the hot water and stir well. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- 3. Bake the cake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Make the lemon glaze
- 4. Whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the lemon juice until smooth.
- Assemble the cake
- 5. Flip the cake out onto a rack set over a baking sheet. Let the cake cool for another 5 minutes.
- 6. Using a long skewer, poke deep holes all over the cake. Drizzle the glaze over the cake, trying to get some into each hole and brushing the glaze so it covers the entire surface of the cake. Serve warm or let cool completely.