We have many fond memories of our old-fashioned icebox cakes covered with whipped cream. The original recipe has appeared for years on the package of Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers. Our new, improved version uses coffee whipped cream, and these individual cakes produce big smiles every time we serve them.–Bob and Melinda Blanchard
Because the refrigerator can cause the whipped cream to dry out a bit, loosely wrap the cakes in plastic wrap to keep them moist and fresh.
Chocolate Icebox Cakes with Coffee Cream
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 4 H, 20 M
- Serves 4
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 24 Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, for garnish
- 1. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, sugar, vanilla, and coffee together until the cream holds its shape. (You can test this by lifting the beaters. If the cream doesn’t fall off, it’s the right consistency.)
- 2. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the cream onto each wafer. Stack 6 wafers together for each serving, alternating the wafers with the cream and pressing slightly so they hold together.
- 3. Spread the remaining cream over the outside of the stacks to cover the wafers completely.
- 4. Chill for 4 to 6 hours. Grate a sprinkling of chocolate over the cakes and serve.