This apple cake is a cake that I first served for breakfast on a hunting plantation in South Georgia. It’s a great cake for potlucks, to take on picnics, or for packing in a lunch bag. Spicy and flavorful, with a moist, pudding-like texture, this is a truly easy cake—just stir together by hand.–Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock
Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 45 M
- Serves 12
- For the apple cake
- Butter, for the baking pan
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 3 pounds fresh apples (such as Granny Smith or Winesap), peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups not-too-finely chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the caramel glaze
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Make the apple cake
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- 2. Put the sugars and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl, and beat until very well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and gradually add to the sugar and eggs, mixing just until well blended. Stir in the apples, pecans, and vanilla. The batter will be quite thick.
- 3. Scrape the batter into the buttered baking pan.
- 4. Bake the cake until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the sides of the cake begin to pull away from the pan, 60 to 75 minutes. (You may want to begin checking the cake for doneness after 50 minutes.) Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan while you prepare the caramel glaze.
- Make the caramel glaze
- 5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, and add both the sugars and the salt. Stir until blended, and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the apple cake
- 6. Use a skewer or toothpick to poke holes all over the top of the apple cake and pour the warm caramel glaze over the surface. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.