This vegan chocolate cake recipe is made with cocoa powder, vinegar, soy or almond milk, and all the other usual baking ingredients. No one will know the difference between it and regular chocolate cake. Swear.
Here’s the thing about this vegan chocolate cake. People they love it. In fact, people who don’t even know it’s vegan love it. And we’re not exactly inclined to tell them as it somehow makes it all the more gratifying when they go back for seconds. And they will go back for seconds. Originally published February 7, 2012.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 30 M
- Serves 8 to 12
Special Equipment: 9-inch round cake pan that's 2 inches deep
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch salt
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups superfine sugar (or just blitz granulated sugar in a blender until finely ground but not powdery)
- 1 cup sunflower oil (you can substitute any mild-flavored vegetable or olive oil), plus more for the pan
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F (163˚C). Oil a 9-inch round cake pan that’s 2 inches deep and line it with parchment paper.
- 2. Dump the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk, vinegar, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until well combined.
- 4. Spoon or scrape the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 to 55 minutes. It’s done when a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out with almost no crumbs attached and the center of the cake, when pressed, springs back slightly instead of sinks. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes if necessary.
- 5. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slide a table knife or a paring knife between the cake and the edge of the pan to loosen, then carefully invert the cake onto the wire rack. Invert it again so it’s right-side up and let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.