Almonds and cherries, a welcome match, come together in a rich, fragrant frangipane checkered with row upon row of wine-purple fruit. This delicious still life is framed by a single sheaf of puff pastry to create a sleek, angular tart.—Bill Granger
For the frangipane
2 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, chopped
1/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the tart
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg yolk
10 1/2 ounces cherries, pitted and cut in halves
Sugar, for sprinkling
Cream, for serving (optional)
Make the frangipane
1. Mix the butter, sugar, ground almonds, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a food processor until combined. Refrigerate until chilled.
Make the tart
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put a baking tray in the oven to heat.
2. Lay the puff pastry on a piece of baking paper on another baking tray. Trim off the edges of pastry (this makes the edges rise evenly). Using the point of a sharp knife, and being careful not to cut right through, score a 1/2 inch border around the edge of the sheet of puff pastry.
3. Prick the entire surface with a fork and brush with egg yolk. Spread the frangipane evenly over the pastry within the scored area. Place the cherries, with the cut side up, in a single layer on top of the frangipane. Place the tart on the hot tray and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the sides are golden and puffed.
4. Serve with cream if you wish.
Recipe © 2002 Bill Granger. All rights reserved.